SubjectRe: ASUS ScreenDuo

On ven, 2008-04-04 at 11:22 -0400, Bob Copeland wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@free.fr> wrote:
> > > If it is supposed to implement the MS SideShow API, then that would be
> > > the .NET VM (i.e. C#). My 10 second googling turned up some info about
> > > that but I couldn't find a definition of how the hardware interface
> > > for such devices is supposed to work. There's some XML-laden software
> > > API but it seemed to be transport agnostic.
> >
> > Wouldn't there be at least 2 interfaces to the device ?
>
> Who knows, they could have a almost-mass-storage protocol layer that
> recognizes proprietary stuff in the URBs. It could be as simple as:
>
> - User clicks 'synchronize' in some windows app
> - Device driver on host does some magic to make Asus device pretend like
> removable media was inserted
> - Vista sees the new device, mounts it
> - App copies C# classes and XML files to special directories on the device
> - App ejects device

Fair enough.

> Does the screen turn on or is that software controlled too?

There's a power-on button, which lits the screen and makes the device
connect to the usb host.

> This is pure wild guessing since I have no clue about SideShow or this
> device. Anyway it would be hard to proceed without capturing a trace
> or managing to find some docs somewhere.

I certainly have no intention of installing vista on this host. I'll see
if I manage to borrow a windows laptop somewhere.

Thanks,
Xav

  Last update: 2008-04-04 18:25    [W:0.060 / U:0.056 seconds]