    SubjectRe: Slow DOWN, please!!!
    On Thu, 1 May 2008 00:53:31 +0200
    Mariusz Kozlowski <m.kozlowski@tuxland.pl> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > > > Perhaps we should be clear and simple about what potential testers
    > > > should be running at any given point in time. With -mm, linux-next,
    > > > linux-2.6, etc, as a newcomer I find it difficult to know where my
    > > > testing time and energy is best directed.
    >
    > Speaking of energy and time of a tester. I'd like to know where these resources
    > should be directed from the arch point of view. Once I had a plan to buy as
    > many arches as I could get and run a farm of test boxes 8-) But that's hard
    > because of various reasons (money, time, room, energy). What arches need more
    > attention? Which are forgotten? Which are going away? For example does buying
    > an alphaserver DS 20 (hey - it's cheap) and running tests on it makes sense
    > these days?

    gee.

    I think to a large extent this problem solves itself - the "more important"
    architectures have more people using them, so they get more testing and
    more immediate testing.

    However there are gaps. I'd say that arm is one of the more important
    architectures, but many people who are interested in arm tend to shy away
    from bleeding-edge kernels for various reasons. Mainly because they have
    real products to get out the door, rather than dinking around with mainline
    kernel developement. So testing bleeding-edge on some arm systems would be
    good, I expect.

    otoh, the platform we break most often is surely plain-old-PCs. If it's
    bugs you're looking for, I expect that dumpster-diving for as many
    different PCs as you can and trying to get them to boot (let alone suspend
    and resume!) would keep you entertained ;)

      Last update: 2008-05-01 01:15    [W:0.024 / U:0.804 seconds]