SubjectRe: [git pull] "big box" x86 changes, PCI

* Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@virtuousgeek.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:55 pm Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > ok, this is the final chunk of the "big box" topic - the PCI changes.
> >
> > These are the largest, and while i tried to reduce their number it's
> > still 19 commits - but it's all around the same topic. The bulk of the
> > new code is in a single file. The tree can be pulled from:
> >

> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86-bigbox-pci.
> >git for-linus
> >
> > this depends on the bootmem changes which are now upstream. These
> > changes too have been in linux-next for some time and the cross-arch
> > (build) success rate is high, as in:
> >
> > http://www.tglx.de/autoqa-cgi/index?run=89&tree=1
> >
> > all but the last few patches have been in x86.git for a longer time and
> > more than 95% of the changes are for arch/x86. (see the dates of the
> > patches. The "15 Feb 2008" ones are older than their timestamp - that's
> > when we imported those changes into a date-aware repository.)
> >
> > i booted up this tree 5 times on x86, mixed 64-bit/32-bit.
>
> Only did a quick scan, but the changes look nice so far. I'll take a
> closer look and give it a try locally tomorrow.

ok, great! Let us know if you experience any problems - and please give
us an Ack if it looks OK so that we can send the final pull request to
Linus :-)

> On an unrelated note, can you take a look at the "PCI MSI breaks when
> booting with nosmp" thread? I posted a patch there that
> unconditionally enables the local apic with nosmp/maxcpus=0 so that
> MSI will work correctly. The other option of course is to disable MSI
> when nosmp/maxcpus=0 and local apic enable code alone.

yeah - great fix - your patch has been put into x86.git a few minutes
after you posted the fix ;-) I think that's been a long-standing problem
(== was broken forever), i noticed it happen on a number of Intel SDV
boards myself in the past and initially suspected e1000 - it is the
first driver that throws a fit with non-working MSI interrupts.

I never managed to track it down (there was nothing to bisect to and far
enough in the past kernels simply stopped booting on that hardware) and
things like acpi=off regularly dont work on prototype boards anyway. I'm
glad you figured it out and it's on the way upstream.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-04-28 17:41    [W:0.152 / U:1.460 seconds]