SubjectRe: Talking to parallel port in 2.6 kernel without using parport
> One of our engineers downloaded source code a while back from
> linux-2.6.18-rc7, but I am not sure how close that is to what is installed
> on my system (uname -r returns 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6. When I set my printk to 8
> (echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk), there are no messages shown on the
> failure. According to the source code I have, the only silent failure in
> parport_register_device is:

Nothing immediately strikes me.

> When I change the flags from PARPORT_FLAG_EXCL to 0 in the call to
> parport_register_device, the call returns a non-zero to indicate success.

Do you have the printer driver loaded already ? (and does it behave if
you do rmmod lp first)

> Can you tell me what I am missing? Where can I get the actual source code
> that goes with this version to further unravel this?

From the .fc6 it would be an old Fedora kernel so very close to standard
2.6.18 from kernel.org, but the Fedora Core kernels are available from
the Fedora download pages - the .srpm package for each kernel is the one
matching the same binary - so google for "2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.src.rpm"

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html has a few notes on
it.

To be honest this area of the kernel hasn't changed much over recent
times. Let me know if you can't figure out what is going on.

  Last update: 2008-04-25 19:21    [W:2.839 / U:0.136 seconds]