    SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] vfs: add helpers to check r/o bind mounts
    > > >  You are right - we do have races there.  Always had.
    > > > And nfsd_permission() is the next target for continuation of ro-bind
    > > > series. Assuming that we don't simply make r/w export to hold will_write
    > > > all along, in which case all these checks around calls of vfs_...() in
    > > > there simply go away - that's also an arguable option.
    > >
    > > Yes. And that _still_ doesn't make the path_*() interface wrong.
    >
    > It would make it bloody useless for nfsd. With ecryptfs being a piss-poor
    > argument in favour of anything other than git rm, what's left? Another
    > stack frame in fs/namei.c syscalls?

    Since all the vfs_* functions will become static with path_* being the
    only caller, the compiler will be happy to get rid of that stack frame
    too.

    What is left is the guarantee, that the race-free r/o remounts will
    always work and some obscure caller didn't forget to surround it with
    the r/o checks.

    I think it's definitely worth it.

    Miklos

      Last update: 2008-04-24 17:01    [W:0.020 / U:32.612 seconds]