    SubjectRe: [patch 22/53] PNP: factor pnp_init_resource_table() and pnp_clean_resource_table()
    On Tuesday 22 April 2008 03:01:58 pm Rene Herman wrote:
    > It seems you designed the list to be basically in any order, judging by
    > things such as pnp_new_resource which'll happily reuse resources of the
    > correct type at any position in the list. Yet, pnp_assign_foo() and friends
    > retrieve resources (through pnp_get_resource) by position in the list and
    > not by the index. I'm not overly sure of failure scenarios but isn't this
    > mixing up position and index in a bad way?

    Yes, I think you're right.

    My idea is that the list should end up in the same order as the
    resource list from the BIOS, e.g., the _CRS and _PRS lists for
    ACPI. In the case of ISAPNP, it'll be in the order that we read
    things from the hardware registers.

    I think I should probably make pnp_new_resource() always allocate
    a new resource and get rid of the idea of reusing something already
    in the list.

    > >> (do note that pnp_assign_foo are the only callers of pnp_check_foo and they
    > >> could be either merged together or at least not communicate via "idx" but
    > >> simply by passing the res/pnp_res).
    > >
    > > Yes, I'd like to do that. But I think I'd better wait or I'll never
    > > get anything finished :-)
    > Well, the idea here was that getting rid of one "idx" here so that things
    > communicate directly removes at least one possible ordering artifact...

    Yup. I ended up doing this after all.

    I updated the patches and my ACPI box with the inactive devices now
    boots (it failed with the v3 patches). I'll work on the
    pnp_new_resource() thing tomorrow, but I'll send you the current
    patches now in case you have a chance to try them on your ISA box.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-04-24 01:11    [W:0.248 / U:15.964 seconds]