    SubjectRe: 2.6.25-mm1 (snd-pcsp doesn't like DEBUG_PAGEALLOC)
    Hello.

    Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity, what is the sound quality with the PC speaker?
    That depends on the speaker itself.
    If it is large enough (not a piezo
    tablet), then the sound probably
    matches the telephone. :)

    > Not to belittle Stas's effort, but how relevant is this driver for
    > mainline given that it os pretty much impossible nowadays to find a
    > motherboard without on-board sound?
    I know it is used because people are
    mailing me about it. Mainly on servers
    I think, as on a desktop its value it
    really questionable. :)
    The real problem is that the board
    manufacturers put the piezo beepers
    these days, and also nvidia already
    excluded the necessary capabilities
    from their NForce chipset. So in the
    future it may indeed became out of
    the use.
    By the way, you may be surprised, but
    I am still being asked by various people
    to write an LPT DAC (Covox) sound driver
    (the ancient OSS-based pc-speaker driver
    supported also that).
    I guess people just like to use all
    the hardware they have, even if it is
    not really very usefull.

      Last update: 2008-04-22 18:45    [W:2.158 / U:0.024 seconds]