SubjectRe: 2.6.25-git2: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffffffffffffff
Date
On Tuesday, 22 of April 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > The same place, dentry.d_hash.next is 1. No slub debug clues... I think, I'll
> > > give slab a try. Any other clues?
> >
> > Well, SLUB uses some per CPU data structures. Is it possible that they get
> > corrupted and which leads to the observed symptoms?
>
> It really doesn't look like the slub allocations themselves would be
> corrupted. It very much looks like wild pointers corrupting allocations
> that themselves were fine.
>
> The nybble pattern looked intriguing (especially as it apparently also hit
> a normal page cache page!) but obviously not everything matches that
> pattern (eg your value of 1).
>
> What do you do to trigger this? Any particular load? Is it still just
> doing suspend/resume, or do you have something else that you are playing
> with?

I've seen that only once, so far. Jiri seems to be able to trigger it more often.

> Also, have you tried CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC? That can also be a very
> powerful way to find memory corruption.

I always have CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC set.

> Does anybody see any other patterns? Looking at the modules linked in in
> the oopses from Zdenek, Rafael and Jiri, I don't see anything odd. You
> both all have 80211 support, maybe the corruption comes from the wireless
> layer?

Well, I thought about that too. However, I had a hang before 2.6.25-git2 that
I suspect was related (I couldn't get any information from the box, as it just
hung solid), so I'd rather suspect some x86 changes.

> Or maybe it's the x86 code changes themselves, and it really is about the
> suspend/resume sequence itself.

It seems to be specific to x86-64, AFAICS.

> Are all the people who see this doing suspends?

I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Rafael

  Last update: 2008-04-22 03:33    [W:0.407 / U:0.312 seconds]