SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.25 (coretemp reads high temperatures)
Len Brown schrieb:
> Hello Mat,
> I'm not familiar with "coretemp", can you point me to the exact version
> of the application you are running so I can see how it is getting at
> the underlying information?

I think there is some confusion here: "coretemp" is a kernel module, and
all applications reading it will probably use the lm_sensors libraries.
(I don't think the hwmon module are related to ACPI)

$ modinfo coretemp
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.25-ARCH/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko
license: GPL
author: Rudolf Marek <r.marek@assembler.cz>
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.25-ARCH SMP preempt mod_unload

That said, I have two Core 2 CPUs (one mobile, one desktop) and the
values coretemp reports have not changed compared to earlier kernel
versions (around 60°C when idle on the mobile, much less on the desktop).

> Also, do you see any change with and without kernel built with
CONFIG_THERMAL=y?

The values I see from ACPI thermal are also the same as before (this is
funny: they are always about 15°C cooler than the coretemp values).

So I don't see a regression here, maybe the reporter should try a
vanilla kernel.

  Last update: 2008-04-21 18:13    [W:0.159 / U:1.612 seconds]