SubjectRe: [bug] build failure in net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_sip.c, on latest -git

* Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:

>> But in this case i first did an unsuccessful full-text search on
>> lkml, then i also opened up netdev and did a full text search there
>> too to find the originator pull request or the patches but the search
>> turned up nothing. As the number of subsystems increases, i suspect
>> you agree with me that this does not scale very well for bug
>> reporters, correct?
>
> Well, 'git log [$file]' is even more scalable and precise, if
> committer (as well as author) info and patch flow info is what a
> tester or bug reporter seeks.

but the only information i had at that point was that 'something in that
recent appearance of a large group of networking commits introduced the
problem'. There was no commit log entry of even the merge.

> But it sounds like you are making an assumption about development
> /style/, then complaining when reality doesn't match that assumption.

no. I simply failed to put this (trivial) bugreport into some sort of
existing context of discussion, and made a brief and neutral(-looking)
comment about that. Under no other development style could i have done
that because the context was simply missing from the mailing lists.

I did not intend this to be a big deal comment. It was literally just
this single side-question:

|| disabling CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_SIP works it around.
|| btw., i found no thread to reply to on lkml or elsewhere - arent all
|| git pull requests supposed to be Cc:-ed to lkml, with shortlog
|| included?

I was seriously surprised that large pull requests and shortlogs dont go
to lkml. Perhaps some sort of negative sentiment was perceived in that
single sentence of mine? If yes, how should i have expressed this
comment otherwise?

and i mean, lost context of discussion happens all the time and i do it
too - recently Andrew complained that ftrace commits were not on lkml
and he was complaining rightfully. We dont notice it unless people
mention it.

[ later on the tone of the discussion degenerated indeed. ]

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-04-21 15:43    [W:0.112 / U:0.820 seconds]