SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:41:27AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> yes. Adrian is waay off in the weeds on this one. Nobody but him is suggesting to remove
>> 8Kb stacks. I think everyone else agrees that having both options is valuable; and there
>> are better ways to find+fix stack bloat than removing this config option.
>
> I'm not arguing for removing the option immediately, but long-term we
> shouldn't need it.
>
> This comes from my experience of removing obsolete drivers for hardware
> for which also a more recent driver exists:
> As long as there is some workaround (e.g. using an older driver or
> 8k stacks) the workaround will be used instead of the getting proper
> bug reports and fixes.
>
> As far as I know all problems that are known with 4k stacks are some
> nested things with XFS in the trace.

This "as far as I know" is a problem itself. Is it possible to implement (e.g.,
using some form of memory protection in hardware, but I am not an expert here)
an option with 8k stacks that, however, spams the log if the actual usage goes
above 4k, and have this as a default for some time? If 4k stacks are the goal
that is almost achieved, then this debugging option should have zero impact on
performance.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

  Last update: 2008-04-21 05:33    [W:0.113 / U:0.728 seconds]