    SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
    Jörn Engel wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 April 2008 16:19:29 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    >> Only if you believe that 4K stack pages are a worthy goal.
    >> As far as I can figure out they are not. They might have been
    >> a worthy goal on crappy 2.4 VMs, but these times are long gone.
    >>
    >> The "saving memory on embedded" argument also does not
    >> quite convince me, it is unclear if that is really
    >> a significant amount of memory on these systems and if that
    >> couldn't be addressed better (e.g. in running generally
    >> less kernel threads). I don't have numbers on this,
    >> but then the people who made this argument didn't have any
    >> either :)
    >
    > It is not uncommon for embedded systems to be designed around 16MiB.

    But these are SoC systems. Do they really run x86?
    (note we're talking about an x86 default option here)

    Also I suspect in a true 16MB system you have to strip down
    everything kernel side so much that you're pretty much outside
    the "validated by testers" realm that Adrian cares about.

    > When dealing in those dimensions, savings of 100k are substantial. In
    > some causes they may be the difference between 16MiB or 32MiB, which
    > translates to manufacturing costs. In others it simply means that the
    > system can cache

    If you need the stack you don't have any less cache foot print.
    If you don't need it you don't have any either.

    -Andi