SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Sun, 20 April 2008 16:19:29 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> Only if you believe that 4K stack pages are a worthy goal.
>> As far as I can figure out they are not. They might have been
>> a worthy goal on crappy 2.4 VMs, but these times are long gone.
>> The "saving memory on embedded" argument also does not
>> quite convince me, it is unclear if that is really
>> a significant amount of memory on these systems and if that
>> couldn't be addressed better (e.g. in running generally
>> less kernel threads). I don't have numbers on this,
>> but then the people who made this argument didn't have any
>> either :)
> It is not uncommon for embedded systems to be designed around 16MiB.

But these are SoC systems. Do they really run x86?
(note we're talking about an x86 default option here)

Also I suspect in a true 16MB system you have to strip down
everything kernel side so much that you're pretty much outside
the "validated by testers" realm that Adrian cares about.

> When dealing in those dimensions, savings of 100k are substantial. In
> some causes they may be the difference between 16MiB or 32MiB, which
> translates to manufacturing costs. In others it simply means that the
> system can cache

If you need the stack you don't have any less cache foot print.
If you don't need it you don't have any either.