SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
Mark Lord wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
>> What would really help would be to have 8k stacks with the lower page
>> causing a fault and print a stack trace upon first access. That way,
>> the safe setting would still report us useful information without
>> putting users into trouble.
> ..
> That's the best suggestion from this thread, by far!
> Can you produce a patch for 2.6.26 for this?
> Or perhaps someone else here, with the right code familiarity, could?
> Some sort of CONFIG option would likely be wanted to
> either enable/disable this feature, of course.

Changing the default warning threshold is easy, it's just a #define.
Although setting it too low would spam syslogs on some setups.

When I was trying to cram stuff into 4k in the past, I had a patch which
added a sysctl to dynamically change the warning threshold, and
optionally BUG() when I hit it for crash analysis. It was good for
debugging, at least. If something along those lines is desired, I could
resurrect it.