SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:27:32AM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >
> >What would really help would be to have 8k stacks with the lower page
> >causing a fault and print a stack trace upon first access. That way,
> >the safe setting would still report us useful information without
> >putting users into trouble.
> ..
>
> That's the best suggestion from this thread, by far!
> Can you produce a patch for 2.6.26 for this?

Unfortunately, I can't. I wouldn't know where to start from.

> Or perhaps someone else here, with the right code familiarity, could?

I hope so.

> Some sort of CONFIG option would likely be wanted to
> either enable/disable this feature, of course.

If we want to migrate to 4k sooner or later, this behaviour would not
need a config option, maybe just a /proc or /sys tunable to disable
the warning. Config would be either (4k + risk of crash) or (8k + warning).

The *real* issue is to decide whether we need/want 4k or not, because
I think we're still discussing the subject for no reason, as usual...

Willy

  Last update: 2008-04-20 15:41    [W:0.270 / U:0.024 seconds]