lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2008]   [Apr]   [20]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: 2.6.25-git1/2 not seeing /dev/sda1 (XFS root) or /dev/sda2 (swap) partitions on a SATA drive
Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:58AM +0100, Sid Boyce wrote:
>> 2.6.25 x86_64 boots fine as does -git1/2 boxes using reiserfs and ext3.
>> With xfs it can't find these and drops into a shell.
>> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAS85018679-part2 swap
>> swap defaults 0 0
>> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAS85018679-part1 /
>> xfs defaults 1 1
>>
>> From my .config
>> CONFIG_XFS_FS=m
>> CONFIG_XFS_QUOTA=y
>> CONFIG_XFS_POSIX_ACL=y
>> CONFIG_XFS_RT=y
>>
>> The other boxes are configure pretty much the same, but I can diff the
>> .config's if required.
>> # l /lib/modules/2.6.25-git2-smp/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_sil.ko
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 272240 2008-04-19 21:54
>> /lib/modules/2.6.25-git2-smp/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_sil.ko
>>
>> 00:0c.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
>> 00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
>> 00:0d.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
>> 00:0d.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
>> 03:00.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA
>> Raid II Controller (rev 01)
>>
>> From working 2.6.25
>> # lsmod|grep sata
>> sata_nv 36872 2
>> sata_sil24 26692 0
>> libata 173664 3 pata_amd,sata_nv,sata_sil24
>
> Double check that you've enabled CONFIG_ATA_SFF and then check you
> previous CONFIG_SATA_* options.
>
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:58AM +0100, Sid Boyce wrote:
> 2.6.25 x86_64 boots fine as does -git1/2 boxes using reiserfs and ext3.
> With xfs it can't find these and drops into a shell.
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAS85018679-part2 swap
> swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAS85018679-part1 /
> xfs defaults 1 1
>
> From my .config
> CONFIG_XFS_FS=m
> CONFIG_XFS_QUOTA=y
> CONFIG_XFS_POSIX_ACL=y
> CONFIG_XFS_RT=y
>
> The other boxes are configure pretty much the same, but I can diff the
> .config's if required.
> # l /lib/modules/2.6.25-git2-smp/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_sil.ko
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 272240 2008-04-19 21:54
> /lib/modules/2.6.25-git2-smp/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_sil.ko
>
> 00:0c.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
> 00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
> 00:0d.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
> 00:0d.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
> 03:00.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA
> Raid II Controller (rev 01)
>
> From working 2.6.25
> # lsmod|grep sata
> sata_nv 36872 2
> sata_sil24 26692 0
> libata 173664 3 pata_amd,sata_nv,sata_sil24

I started off using the 2.6.25 .config below, 2.6.25-git "make
oldconfig", changed a few options like SATA_SFF and SATA_PMP.

barrabas:/usr/src/linux-2.6.25 # grep SFF .config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_SFF=y
barrabas:/usr/src/linux-2.6.25 # grep SATA .config
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m
CONFIG_SATA_SVW=m
CONFIG_SATA_MV=m
CONFIG_SATA_NV=m
CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR=m
CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=m
CONFIG_SATA_SX4=m
CONFIG_SATA_SIL=m
CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=m
CONFIG_SATA_SIS=m
CONFIG_SATA_ULI=m
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=m
CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE=m
CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X=m


> Double check that you've enabled CONFIG_ATA_SFF and then check you
previous CONFIG_SATA_* options.

Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
Specialist, Cricket Coach
Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks



\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2008-04-20 14:41    [W:0.052 / U:5.072 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site