    SubjectRe: race leading to held mutexes, inode_cache corruption
    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 00:13:04 -0400 "Sapan Bhatia" <sapan.bhatia@gmail.com> wrote:

    > > That's the only way in which I can interpret your second paragraph, but as
    > > far as I can tell the code cannot do that.
    > >
    > > Can you provide more detail?
    > >

    > On running the example again, it seems that attributing the problem to a
    > generic locking bug was a misdiagnosis. I apologize for the misinformation.
    > The error is more likely a path with a dangling mutex_lock somewhere, or
    > something else. I'll investigate further and try to provide a more detailed
    > description of the problem when I have something concrete.

    OK, thanks.

    Recent kernels have this:

    config DEBUG_LOCK_ALLOC
    bool "Lock debugging: detect incorrect freeing of live locks"
    depends on DEBUG_KERNEL && TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT && STACKTRACE_SUPPORT && LOCKDEP_SUPPORT
    select DEBUG_SPINLOCK
    select DEBUG_MUTEXES
    select LOCKDEP
    help
    This feature will check whether any held lock (spinlock, rwlock,
    mutex or rwsem) is incorrectly freed by the kernel, via any of the
    memory-freeing routines (kfree(), kmem_cache_free(), free_pages(),
    vfree(), etc.), whether a live lock is incorrectly reinitialized via
    spin_lock_init()/mutex_init()/etc., or whether there is any lock
    held during task exit.

    which seems rather relevant, no? ;)

      Last update: 2008-04-02 06:33    [W:0.021 / U:34.068 seconds]