    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.25-rc8
    On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:50:28AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Paul Mackerras wrote:
    > > Linus Torvalds writes:
    > >
    > > > I think the dirstat continues to be fairly informative, with arch/ and
    > > > drivers dominating as usual. And within arch, a fair amount of the line
    > > > noise are all those defconfigs. I wish we had some saner way of handling
    > > > that
    > >
    > > We (the arch maintainers) could try to do the bulk of the defconfig
    > > updates at about -rc2 or -rc3 time, if you'd prefer.
    > Well, that part isn't the one that I think is bothersome - I just wonder
    > if the whole "defconfig" mess is worth keeping with the kernel at _all_.

    I have a trivial script that does "build all defconfigs", and it has
    resulted in me reporting and fixing dozens of bugs in 2.6.25
    (and some regressions in gcc 4.3).

    And I use it for verifying that patches don't break the compilation.

    Different to randconfig builds the defconfigs allow me to cover most
    reasonable configurations with a script that takes only one day to run.

    > Linus

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-04-02 20:57    [W:0.025 / U:35.212 seconds]