SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.25-rc8
On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:50:28AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> > Linus Torvalds writes:
> >
> > > I think the dirstat continues to be fairly informative, with arch/ and
> > > drivers dominating as usual. And within arch, a fair amount of the line
> > > noise are all those defconfigs. I wish we had some saner way of handling
> > > that
> >
> > We (the arch maintainers) could try to do the bulk of the defconfig
> > updates at about -rc2 or -rc3 time, if you'd prefer.
>
> Well, that part isn't the one that I think is bothersome - I just wonder
> if the whole "defconfig" mess is worth keeping with the kernel at _all_.

I have a trivial script that does "build all defconfigs", and it has
resulted in me reporting and fixing dozens of bugs in 2.6.25
(and some regressions in gcc 4.3).

And I use it for verifying that patches don't break the compilation.

Different to randconfig builds the defconfigs allow me to cover most
reasonable configurations with a script that takes only one day to run.

> Linus

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.