SubjectRe: [v2.6.26] what's brewing in x86.git for v2.6.26

* Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl> wrote:

>> and you'll see the trace events go by, live. The user-space bits of
>> sysprof have been ported over to ftrace/sysprof already and it's a
>> really nice tool that shows a deep stack-trace based hierarchical
>> "vertical" profile instead of the usual finegrained profile.
>
> Does it meany Linux give up implementing DTrace way of
> tracing/instrumntation ? In last time I observe more and more signs
> inroducing parallel ways of tracing/instrumentations infrasctructures
> in Linux kernel where all this can be rolled into only one .. common.

the goal of having more generic markers is still possible and being
aimed for - for in-kernel utilization like SystemTap, lttng, utrace,
ftrace and similar. The latest iteration of markers looks rather
promising in terms of giving us near-zero-cost probe points.

(and last i checked dtrace was not capable of doing something like
mmiotrace - so it's a different thing.)

so dont worry :)

Ingo