SubjectRe: 2.6.25-mm1: not looking good
On 4/18/08, Jason Wessel <jason.wessel@windriver.com> wrote:
> Vegard Nossum wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Jason Wessel
> > <jason.wessel@windriver.com> wrote:

> 697,

> 1000

> well.

> >> I assume this was SMP?
> >>

> > Yes. But now that I realize this, I tried running same kernel with
> > qemu, using -smp 16, and it seems to be stuck here:
> >

> Unless you have a qemu with the NMI patches, kgdb does not work on SMP
> with qemu. The very first test is going to fail because the IPI sent by
> the kernel is not handled in qemu's hardware emulation.

Oops, no, and that makes sense.

I now picked up qemu 0.9.1 and applied the three NMI/SMI patches by Jan Kiszka.

So in qemu it seems to run fine now, except that I need to prod it
sometimes (it gets stuck in cpu_clock() and I have to break/continue
from gdb to make it proceed). Oh, there it made it to 1056, and gdb
can't interrupt anymore. Hmm. This is probably not a very good
testing/debugging environment if the qemu support is that bad. Sorry
:-)

But booting with nosmp on real hardware gets easily above 100,000
iterations of the loop (before I reboot), so it seems to be related to
that, anyway.

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it

  Last update: 2008-04-18 16:49    [W:0.060 / U:0.628 seconds]