    SubjectRe: 2.6.25-mm1: not looking good
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:40:34 -0700
    > Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:03:31 -0700
    >> Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have maybe two hours in which to weed out whatever very-recently-added
    >>> dud patches are causing this. Any suggestions are welcome.
    >>>
    >> With git-selinux at top-of tree it's repeatably hanging in the CPA
    >> self-tests (git-x86 stuff). Last two lines are:
    >>
    >> CPA self-test:
    >> 4k 8704 large 4847 gb 0 x 0[0-0] miss 0
    >>
    >> (clear as mud ;))
    >>
    >> I will find the config knob to disable that test. Of course, it could be
    >> telling me that CPA is buggy.
    >
    > Disabling CPA_DEBUG didn't help. It's still hanging. The final initcall
    > is init_kgdbts() and disabling KGDB prevents the hang.

    In this case you do not have to disable kgdb, but just disable the
    kgdb test suite. Certainly I would be interested to know where it is
    failing as it would indicate that there is a regression that is caused
    by a change that occurred somewhere else in the kernel or a latent
    defect in kgdb was triggered. The kgdb test suite exercises a number
    of kernel fault systems as well as arch specific single stepping when
    it runs and when it fails it is likely worth it to track down which
    test failed and why.

    If you are looking to bypass the kgdb test suite you have two options.

    The kernel option that runs the tests on boot (which is not on by
    default) is CONFIG_KGDB_TESTS_ON_BOOT, and make sure this is off.

    You can turn off the tests in an already compiled kernel that had the
    testing turned on with boot by adding the boot argument with nothing
    on the other side of the = sign of the kgdbts paramter. Like:

    kgdbts=

    In terms of debugging what happened, if you have console output you
    can save, please do send me the output of kernel boot with the kernel
    boot argument:

    kgdbts=V2

    That enables verbose logging of exactly what is going on and will show
    where wheels fall off the cart. If the kernel is dying silently it
    means the early exception code has completely failed in some way on
    the kernel architecture that was selected, and of course the .config
    is always useful in this case.

    Thanks,
    Jason.

      Last update: 2008-04-18 05:09    [W:0.021 / U:208.076 seconds]