SubjectRe: [RESEND][RFC] BFQ I/O Scheduler
Paolo Valente wrote:
> Avi Kivity ha scritto:
>> Jumping in at random, does "process" here mean task or mms_struct?
>> If the former, doesn't that mean that a 100-thread process can starve
>> out a single-threaded process?
>>
>> Perhaps we need hierarchical io scheduling, like cfs has for the cpu.
>>
> Hierarchical would simplify isolating groups of threads or processes.
> However, some simple solution is already available with bfq. For
> example, if you have to fairly share the disk bandwidth between the
> above 100 threads and another important thread, you get it by just
> assigning weight 1 to each of these 100 threads, and weight 100 to the
> important one.

Doesn't work. If the 100-thread process wants to use just on thread for
issuing I/O, it will be starved by the single-threaded process.

[my example has process A with 100 threads, and process B with 1 thread,
not a 101-thread process with one important thread]

  Last update: 2008-04-17 17:55    [W:0.242 / U:0.044 seconds]