SubjectRe: x86 git tree broken (bisected)
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Yinghai Lu <yhlu.kernel@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > Attached is dmesg output from current x86.git with
> > > debug_gart_checking.patch applied.
> >
> > please test the final one ... ...
> >
> > You should get back 64M memory back.
>
> so basically with all the right patches applied, and GART set to 32MB in
> the BIOS, Rafael should have more free RAM on his system than ever
> before :-)

Yes

> i've put all the patches into x86.git/latest (it's all uploaded already
> as well), so that should give Rafael a one-stop shop to test it out. [i
> have not applied the debug patch that changes the aperture test from
> 32MB to 64MB, and it should be unnecessary as well]
>
> btw., Yinghai, should we perhaps add a WARN_ON() to those places where
> we waste RAM (such as the "This costs you 64 MB of RAM" message) - so
> that kerneloops.org can pick those warnings up? Maybe there are other
> situations where we waste RAM, and people dont realize it.

in Rafael case, just need to ask user to increase GART size in BIOS if
more than 4G RAM installed ( or 4G installed with hardware memhole
remapping enabled).

if less than 4G installed, just take the BIOS setting with 32M

YH

  Last update: 2008-04-14 20:11    [W:0.147 / U:0.064 seconds]