    SubjectRe: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS
    From
    On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 03:59:20PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > I totally agree. The problem being discussed here is exactly how to know it
    > is needed. If you have better suggestions for that, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > As you specifically say "modern controllers", I suspect that the problem is
    > limited as I guess those are fairly unlikely to be found in machines that
    > have an ISA bus.
    >
    > I also think the way I've implemented in the Debian installer should be
    > relatively safe:
    > 1) ide-generic is only loaded _after_ any otherwise detected modules
    > 2) it is only loaded if an ISA bus is present
    > 3) it is only included in the initrd for the installed system if loading it
    > in the installer resulted in additional block devices appearing

    OK, great for x86 perhaps, what about other systems?

    > I would unload ide-generic in the installer if no additional block devices
    > appear, but unfortunately that's not possible as it is marked "permanent".
    >
    > By loading it after any other drivers I expect there will be no issues
    > during the installation (as the other driver will already have claimed the
    > device). Making sure it is only loaded for the installed system if actually
    > needed should avoid problems there.
    >
    > ATM I can only see this causing problems in systems that need both
    > ide-generic and some other driver as adding ide-generic in the initrd is
    > likely to result in it being loaded before that other driver.

    In the past debian would load ide-generic last. It worked great. Keep
    doing that. I am not aware of loading ide-generic after all the other
    drivers ever causing any harm in the older debian installers.

    > Again, if anyone has a better suggestion how to implement this (preferably
    > without asking the user whether he has a device that needs ide-generic,
    > which most users are unlikely to know anyway), I'd appreciate it.

    I would say just load the generic driver and let it grab whatever other
    drivers haven't already. If this causes a problem, then there is a
    kernel bug to be fixed. It shouldn't be the installers problem. After
    all what happens if ide-generic and all the other drivers are built in
    rather than modules? If that broke then the kernel already has issues,
    and as far as I can tell that isn't a problem.

    So just load it. If it didn't cause any additional ide ports to appear,
    then you can unload it again.

    --
    Len Sorensen

      Last update: 2008-04-14 15:55    [W:0.027 / U:60.088 seconds]