    SubjectRe: [patch 16/17] Immediate Values - Documentation
    * Rusty Russell ( wrote:
    > On Thursday 10 April 2008 01:08:45 Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
    > > If you have to read the immediate values from a function declared as
    > > __init or __exit, you should explicitly use _imv_read(), which will fall
    > > back on a global variable read. Failing to do so will leave a reference to
    > > the __init section after it is freed (it would generate a modpost
    > > warning).
    > That's a real usability wart. Couldn't we skip these in the patching loop if
    > required and revert so noone can make this mistake?

    Yeah, I know :(

    Well, only if we can find a way to detect the macro is put within a init
    or exit section. Is there some assembly trickery that would permit us to
    do that ?

    Otherwise, given the memory freed from the init section could be reused
    later by the kernel, I don't see how we can detect the pointer leads to
    a freed init section and, say, a module.

    > Thanks,
    > Rusty.

    Mathieu Desnoyers

      Last update: 2008-04-11 03:19    [W:0.036 / U:2.652 seconds]