SubjectRe: [patch 3/3] pata: "I do not think it means, what you think it means."
Ville Syrjälä <syrjala@sci.fi> writes:

> AFAIK there were basically two series of deathstars. The original
> DTLA<something> and the more recent IC35<something>.

Said friendly distributor recognizes only one deathstar line.
Personally I lost only two such drives, 45 GB I think. My only IC35
(still) produces some strange noises but it was like this from the
beginning and I guess it's normal. IC25 (?, 2.5") still working, too -
noises are a bit different than on IC35.

> Proper cooling and firmware upgrade usually fixed the deathstarness on
> both series.

Nope, DTLAs were not field-fixable, I think it was some problem with
drive electronics. Anyway replacements from IBM were dying the same
death, firmware upgrades or not, brand new or repaired, temperature or
not.

Perhaps there were other problems with them (switching while writing
to medium IIRC) - a different story.
--
Krzysztof Halasa