SubjectRe: RELEASE BLOCKER: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag
H.J. Lu wrote:

> So that is the bug in the Linux kernel. Since fixing kernel is much easier
> than providing a workaround in compilers, I think kernel should be fixed
> and no need for icc/gcc fix.

Fixing a bug in the Linux kernel is not "much easier". You are taking
a purely engineering viewpoint, but life is not like that. There are
lots of copies of Linux kernels around and in use. The issue is not
fixing the kernel per se, it is propagating that change to all
Linux kernels in use -- THAT'S another matter entirely, and is
far far more difficult than making sure that a kernel fix is
qualified and widely proopagated.

> H.J.

  Last update: 2008-03-06 18:21    [W:0.115 / U:1.188 seconds]