SubjectRe: Are Linux pipes slower than the FreeBSD ones ?
From
From: Antipov Dmitry <dmantipov@yandex.ru>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:46:57 +0300

> Despite of this obvious fact, recently I've tried to compare pipe
> performance on Linux and FreeBSD systems. Unfortunately, Linux
> results are poor - ~2x slower than FreeBSD. The detailed description
> of the test case, preparation, environment and results are located
> at http://213.148.29.37/PipeBench, and everyone are pleased to look
> at, reproduce, criticize, etc.

FreeBSD does page flipping into the pipe receiver, so rerun your test
case but have either the sender or the receiver make changes to
their memory buffer in between the read/write calls.

FreeBSD's scheme is only good for benchmarks, rather then real life.

  Last update: 2008-03-05 09:05    [W:0.540 / U:0.044 seconds]