SubjectRe: Are Linux pipes slower than the FreeBSD ones ?
Nick Piggin a écrit :
> On Wednesday 05 March 2008 20:47, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>
>> David Miller a écrit :
>>
>>> From: Antipov Dmitry <dmantipov@yandex.ru>
>>> Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:46:57 +0300

>>> FreeBSD does page flipping into the pipe receiver, so rerun your test
>>> case but have either the sender or the receiver make changes to
>>> their memory buffer in between the read/write calls.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD's scheme is only good for benchmarks, rather then real life.
>>>
>> page flipping might explain differences for big transferts, but note the
>> difference with small buffers (64, 128, 256, 512 bytes)
>>
>> I tried the 'pipe' prog on a fresh linux-2.6.24.2, on a dual Xeon 5120
>> machine, and we can notice that four cpus are used (but only two threads
>> are running on this benchmark)
>>

> One thing to try is pinning both processes on the same CPU. This
> may be what the FreeBSD scheduler is preferring to do, and it ends
> up being really a tradeoff that helps some workloads and hurts
> others. With a very unscientific test with an old kernel, the
> pipe.c test gets anywhere from about 1.5 to 3 times faster when
> running it as taskset 1 ./pipe
>

>> # opreport -l /boot/vmlinux-2.6.24.2 |head -n 30
>> CPU: Core 2, speed 1866.8 MHz (estimated)
>> Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Clock cycles when not halted) with a
>> unit mask of 0x00 (Unhalted core cycles) count 100000
>> samples % symbol name
>> 52137 9.3521 kunmap_atomic
>>

> I wonder if FreeBSD doesn't allocate their pipe buffers from kernel
> addressable memory. We could do this to eliminate the cost completely
> on highmem systems (whether it is a good idea I don't know, normally
> you'd actually do a bit of work between reading or writing from a
> pipe...)
>

>> 50983 9.1451 mwait_idle_with_hints
>> 50448 9.0492 system_call
>> 49727 8.9198 task_rq_lock
>> 24531 4.4003 pipe_read
>> 19820 3.5552 pipe_write
>> 16176 2.9016 dnotify_parent
>>

> Just say no to dnotify.
>

>> 15455 2.7723 file_update_time
>>

> Dumb question: anyone know why pipe.c calls this?

Because pipe writer calls write() syscall -> file_update_time() in kernel
while pipe reader calls read() syscall -> touch_atime() in kernel

inode i_mtime, i_ctime, i_atime and i_mutex fields share same cache
line, so nothing we can improve to avoid cache line ping pong.