    SubjectRe: [RFC] libcg: design and plans
    On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:15:20PM -0800, Paul Menage wrote:
    > Hi Dhaval,
    >
    > On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Dhaval Giani <dhaval@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We have been working on a library for control groups which would provide
    > > simple APIs for programmers to utilize from userspace and make use of
    > > control groups.
    > >
    > > We are still designing the library and the APIs. I've attached the
    > > design (as of now) to get some feedback from the community whether we
    > > are heading in the correct direction and what else should be addressed.
    >
    > There are a few things that it would be nice to include in such a
    > library, if you're going to develop one:
    >
    > - the ability to create abstract groups of processes, and resource
    > groups, and have the ability to tie these together arbitrarily. E.g
    > you might create abstract groups A, B and C, and be able to say that A
    > and B share memory with each other but not with C, and all three
    > groups are isolated from each other for CPU. Then libcg would mount
    > different resource types in different cgroup hierarchies (you would
    > probably tell it ahead of time which combinations of sharing you would
    > want, in order that it could minimize the number of mounted
    > hierarchies). When you tell libcg to move a process into abstract
    > group A, it would move it into the appropriate resource group in each
    > hierarchy.

    I am not very clear about what you are asking for here, so let me try to
    rephrase it, and if I have understood it correctly, we can move further
    ahead from there.

    So there are two different points, /mem and /cpu. /mem has A and C and
    /cpu has A, B and C. A and B of /cpu correspond to A of /mem and the C's
    are the same. With this is mind, if I say a task should move to B in
    /cpu, it should also move to A in /mem?

    > - an interface for gathering usage stats from cgroups.

    Yes, that is a todo. We should get around to it as the functionality
    gets implemented in kernel.

    > - support for dynamically migrating processes between groups based on
    > process connector events (i.e. a finished version of the daemon that
    > you were working on last year)

    libcg is at a lower level than this. The dynamic migration of processes
    can be based on top of libcg, and exploit it (and be more powerful than
    the daemon I posted last year) It would be able to utilize the
    configuration and other capabilities of libcg.

    Thanks,
    --
    regards,
    Dhaval

      Last update: 2008-03-05 11:37    [W:0.024 / U:121.368 seconds]