    SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc3 + RS690 + DRM + xf86-video-ati hang
    On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:16:49AM +0000, Dave Airlie wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 19:35:11 +0000 Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > If I enable CONFIG_DRM_RADEON under 2.6.25-rc3 then starting up
    > > > X using the xf86-video-ati driver (6.8.0 or latest git) causes the
    > > > machine to become unresponsive; while it still pings and will accept
    > > > incoming connections they never actually complete and it's not possible
    > > > to login over a serial console (the actual video console doesn't display
    > > > anything and the monitor reports a loss of sync).
    > > >
    > > > Disabling the kernel DRM option results in X running successfully.
    > > > Likewise 2.6.24 works fine with DRM enabled, presumably because the
    > > > support for the RS690 was only added in 2.6.25-rc
    > > >
    > > > The last messages from the kernel before it becomes unresponsive are:
    > > >
    > > > [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
    > > > [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
    > > > [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
    > > >
    > > > The motherboard in question is an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, with the analog VGA
    > > > output being used. The machine is running an AMD64 with Debian unstable.
    > > > I have put the output of lspci, a non drm Xorg.log and a drm Xorg.log
    > > > at:
    > > >
    > > > http://the.earth.li/~noodles/xorg-ati-drm/lspci
    > > > http://the.earth.li/~noodles/xorg-ati-drm/Xorg.0.log-nodrm
    > > > http://the.earth.li/~noodles/xorg-ati-drm/Xorg.0.log-drm
    > > >
    > > > If I can provide any more useful information please let me know.
    > > >

    > > Did 2.6.24 work OK with all the same userspace software?
    > >
    > We haven't actually released any userspace software properly yet, its all
    > experimental at this point until we debug the hardware some more..

    Is xf86-driver-ati 6.8.0 not a proper release? I'm pretty sure the
    combination of that, 2.6.25-rc3 and CONFIG_DRM_RADEON causes my machine
    to become unresponsive. I only tried a git build of the driver after the
    released version was causing issues.

    Replacing 2.6.25-rc3 with 2.6.24 (still with CONFIG_DRM_RADEON enabled)
    results in a machine that boots to GDM successfully. Likewise if I
    disable CONFIG_DRM_RADEON in 2.6.25-rc3 the machine boots to GDM ok.

    J.

    --
    jid: noodles@jabber.earth.li
    101 things you can't have too much of : 42

      Last update: 2008-03-04 09:55    [W:0.027 / U:0.276 seconds]