    SubjectRe: [RFC] use realmode code to reserve end-of-conventional-memory to 1MB

    On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 15:33 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Mark McLoughlin <markmc@redhat.com> wrote:
    >
    > > > The patch below seems like the right thing to do. It certainly boots
    > > > in a domU without the DMI problem (without any of the other related
    > > > patches such as Alexander's).
    > >
    > > Yep, this patch on its own fixes 2.6.25-rc3 DomU boot for me here.
    >
    > thanks - i picked it up for v2.6.25 merging.

    Thanks, I'd been planning to resend once I got the ddcprobe thing sorted
    but I've been a bit snowed under (deadlines :-|). This patch is
    independently correct though and turns the ddcprobe failure from a domU
    kernel crash into a userspace hang.

    ddcprobe hangs because the page at pfn 0 is comprised entirely 0xc2
    bytes (the Xen memory scrub poison value -- I'm running a debug
    hypervisor) which causes lrmi to try and jump to 0xc2c2*16+0xc2c2 to
    implement int $0xXX. gdb won't let me actually examine that address for
    some reason so I don't actually know what it's hitting to cause the
    loop/hang but no good can come of jumping to that address in any case...

    Sanest solution seems to me to be to explicitly zero PFN 0 -- I have a
    patch I just haven't had a chance to clean it up for submission yet.

    > i'm wondering, what triggered this bug, and why didnt we have these
    > problems in the past?

    Did someone make the boot allocator start at the bottom instead of the
    top of memory or something?

    Ian.

    --
    Ian Campbell
    Current Noise: Nile - Even The Gods Must Die

    There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish.
    -- Walt Disney

      Last update: 2008-03-04 16:15    [W:4.396 / U:0.200 seconds]