    SubjectRe: What to do about the 2TB limit on HDIO_GETGEO ?
    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:45:35PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
    > I believe GUID Partition Tables (GPTs) are the answer.
    >
    > I believe one of the features of GPT is the elimination of the 32-bit
    > sector restrictions.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
    >
    > Windows VISTA 64-bit supports GPTs on data disks and new Mac OS based
    > systems have been using it on internal drives for a couple years at
    > least.
    >
    > GPTs are part of the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), so they
    > should be usable for PC bootable disks at some point. (Maybe now in
    > some cases?)
    >
    > I'm not sure what the Linux Kernel support is for GPTs.

    It has been supported since the first Itanium systems shipped. It's
    the first code I wrote 7+ years before it was really needed. :-) Most
    distributions have it enabled, as do userspace tools like GNU Parted.

    --
    Matt Domsch
    linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

      Last update: 2008-03-30 06:31    [W:2.628 / U:0.004 seconds]