    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha
    Rene Herman wrote:
    > On 25-03-08 02:22, Michael Cree wrote:
    >>> should do it. Here's a file Bob passed me as a problematic one.
    >>> 8-bit, 11025, mono:
    >> Right, got that. On the PWS600au it shows the same problems that Bob
    >> describes! When I play it with aplay (through the es1887) I get the
    >> last "pal" repeated at the end. When I play it with sox (also through
    >> the es1887) I get the words "current event" repeated at the end.
    > Lovely, so different problem between you and Bob. When you (either of
    > you) have some time for it again, could you try:
    > $ sox asskickd.wav -w -t alsa hw

    Exactly the same as without the -w option. (BTW, I would've never have
    guessed the -w option; my man file has -2 for conversion to 16 bit.)

    > $ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -t alsa hw

    The words "current event" are no longer repeated at the end of playing.
    There is a click at the end of playing - hard to know whether it
    started to repeat something or whether it is truly at the end of the
    sound file.

    > $ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -c 2 -t alsa hw

    Repeats the "al" bit of the last word "pal" at the end of playing.

    >> I suspect you are right - the symptoms I have observed (complete
    >> system crashes) are separate from what Bob observes. One question I
    >> have is what is different about Bob's set up that enables the sound to
    >> work with mmap?
    > Not a clue. Takashi -- is it possible that Bob wasn't using mmap to
    > being with if he didn't do anything specific to not do so?
    > And perhaps you guys have firmware settable options that touch that area
    > of coherent DMA? Maybe even a specific chipset bug on his machine? No
    > idea how different/similar your machines are...

    I have another PWS600au - a little older than the one I was testing on.
    It is slightly different in that its scsi controller is a separate
    board in a PCI slot, rather than on the motherboard. Also has an
    ESS1888 rather than an ESS1887. Just installed the same OS and kernel
    on it.

    Tried playing sound. What a mess. Crashes with mmap on. Installed the
    patch turning off mmap. Just produces buzzes and fart noises whatever
    sound file I try to play; both with aplay and sox.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-30 11:15    [W:0.024 / U:7.000 seconds]