    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha
    Rene Herman wrote:
    > Okay. The thing that "fixed" Tyson was disabling mmap from the driver:
    >
    > http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-March/006911.html

    I'll be trying that just a little later today, as in, sometime in the
    next half hour or so.

    > It landed him in the same situation as you though, where that "asskickd.wav"
    > mono, 8-bit 11025 file you sent me shows the same behaviour you reported.
    > This might imply you weren't using mmap to begin with. You have no horribly
    > obsolete alsa userland, nor an /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc?

    I don't have either of the two files mentioned above. As far as the alsa
    userland, I would think it's all "reasonably" current. I'm running Debian
    "Etch" fully patched/updated. I'll normally refrain from running things
    in the "unstable" or "experimental" categories unless something is broken
    in the "stable" tree that isn't getting fixed (e.g., a libc problem).
    Beyond that, I also tend to run the latest kernels to make sure we (the
    community) get an early warning if there are problems with kernel
    updates/changes on the Alpha architecture. Because it's a reasonably
    small list, here is the relevant "dpkg -l" output for alsa packages:

    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-==================================-====================================-================================================================
    ii alsa-base 1.0.13-5etch1 ALSA driver configuration files
    ii alsa-oss 1.0.12-1 ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
    ii alsa-utils 1.0.13-2 ALSA utilities
    ii alsaplayer-alsa 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (ALSA output module)
    ii alsaplayer-common 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (common files)
    ii alsaplayer-esd 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (EsounD output module)
    ii alsaplayer-gtk 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (GTK version)
    ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.10-4 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
    ii libasound2 1.0.13-2 ALSA library
    ii linux-sound-base 1.0.13-5etch1 base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems

    > No change with "aplay -M"?
    > (and)
    > This one needs answer so as to possibly pin things down to format:
    >
    > http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-March/006914.html

    Reported on the results of the various "sox" tests in that article last
    night.

    For all of the above, I need to mention I am/was running an unpatched
    2.6.25-rc7 kernel. "cat /proc/interrupts" shows absolutely no interrupt
    activity for the ES1888. Here's the current and complete output for an
    uptime of 1 day, 14:14:

    1: 10718 XT-PIC i8042
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    4: 1 XT-PIC serial
    5: 0 XT-PIC +ES18xx
    8: 140919958 RTC +timer
    12: 13965 XT-PIC i8042
    14: 1231903 XT-PIC ide0
    18: 0 PYXIS halt-switch
    22: 0 PYXIS timer-cascade
    23: 0 PYXIS isa-cascade
    24: 116344 PYXIS eth0
    32: 14938196 PYXIS radeon@pci:0000:00:0c.0
    40: 417084 PYXIS qla1280
    ERR: 0

    Ok. Let me boot on the kernel with the "miata_no_mmap" patch and give
    that a spin. I'll report back shortly.

    Bob Tracy | "I was a beta tester for dirt. They never did
    rct@frus.com | get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.

      Last update: 2008-03-30 22:27    [W:0.028 / U:1.116 seconds]