SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha
Rene Herman wrote:
> Okay. The thing that "fixed" Tyson was disabling mmap from the driver:
>
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-March/006911.html

I'll be trying that just a little later today, as in, sometime in the
next half hour or so.

> It landed him in the same situation as you though, where that "asskickd.wav"
> mono, 8-bit 11025 file you sent me shows the same behaviour you reported.
> This might imply you weren't using mmap to begin with. You have no horribly
> obsolete alsa userland, nor an /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc?

I don't have either of the two files mentioned above. As far as the alsa
userland, I would think it's all "reasonably" current. I'm running Debian
"Etch" fully patched/updated. I'll normally refrain from running things
in the "unstable" or "experimental" categories unless something is broken
in the "stable" tree that isn't getting fixed (e.g., a libc problem).
Beyond that, I also tend to run the latest kernels to make sure we (the
community) get an early warning if there are problems with kernel
updates/changes on the Alpha architecture. Because it's a reasonably
small list, here is the relevant "dpkg -l" output for alsa packages:

||/ Name Version Description
+++-==================================-====================================-================================================================
ii alsa-base 1.0.13-5etch1 ALSA driver configuration files
ii alsa-oss 1.0.12-1 ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
ii alsa-utils 1.0.13-2 ALSA utilities
ii alsaplayer-alsa 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (ALSA output module)
ii alsaplayer-common 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (common files)
ii alsaplayer-esd 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (EsounD output module)
ii alsaplayer-gtk 0.99.76-9 PCM player designed for ALSA (GTK version)
ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.10-4 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii libasound2 1.0.13-2 ALSA library
ii linux-sound-base 1.0.13-5etch1 base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems

> No change with "aplay -M"?
> (and)
> This one needs answer so as to possibly pin things down to format:
>
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-March/006914.html

Reported on the results of the various "sox" tests in that article last
night.

For all of the above, I need to mention I am/was running an unpatched
2.6.25-rc7 kernel. "cat /proc/interrupts" shows absolutely no interrupt
activity for the ES1888. Here's the current and complete output for an
uptime of 1 day, 14:14:

1: 10718 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 1 XT-PIC serial
5: 0 XT-PIC +ES18xx
8: 140919958 RTC +timer
12: 13965 XT-PIC i8042
14: 1231903 XT-PIC ide0
18: 0 PYXIS halt-switch
22: 0 PYXIS timer-cascade
23: 0 PYXIS isa-cascade
24: 116344 PYXIS eth0
32: 14938196 PYXIS radeon@pci:0000:00:0c.0
40: 417084 PYXIS qla1280
ERR: 0
Ok. Let me boot on the kernel with the "miata_no_mmap" patch and give
that a spin. I'll report back shortly.

Bob Tracy | "I was a beta tester for dirt. They never did
rct@frus.com | get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans