SubjectRe: [rfc][patch 1/3] slub: fix small HWCACHE_ALIGN alignment
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> Well, not my definition either but SLAB has guaranteed that for small
> objects in the past, so I think Nick has a point here. However, with
> all this back and forth, I've lost track why this matters. I suppose
> it causes regression on some workload?

Well the guarantee can only be exploited if you would check the cacheline
sizes and the object size from the code that creates the slab cache.
Basically you would have to guestimate what the slab allocator is doing.

So the guarantee is basically meaningless. If the object is larger than a
cacheline then this will never work.

  Last update: 2008-03-03 22:35    [W:0.100 / U:0.180 seconds]