SubjectRe: [-mm] Add an owner to the mm_struct (v2)
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:53:16 +0530
Balbir Singh <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> This patch removes the mem_cgroup member from mm_struct and instead adds
> an owner. This approach was suggested by Paul Menage. The advantage of
> this approach is that, once the mm->owner is known, using the subsystem
> id, the cgroup can be determined. It also allows several control groups
> that are virtually grouped by mm_struct, to exist independent of the memory
> controller i.e., without adding mem_cgroup's for each controller,
> to mm_struct.
>
> The code initially assigns mm->owner to the task and then after the
> thread group leader is identified. The mm->owner is changed to the thread
> group leader of the task later at the end of copy_process.

Hmm, I like this approach.

-a bit off topic-
BTW, could you move mem_cgroup_from_task() to include/linux/memcontrol.h ?

Then, I'll add an interface like
mem_cgroup_charge_xxx(struct page *page, struct mem_cgroup *mem, gfp_mask mask)

This can be called in following way:
mem_cgroup_charge_xxx(page, mem_cgroup_from_task(current), GFP_XXX);
and I don't have to access mm_struct's member in this case.

Thanks,
-Kame

  Last update: 2008-03-28 11:47    [W:0.109 / U:0.120 seconds]