SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc7-git2: Reported regressions from 2.6.24

* Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> wrote:

> But that was one year ago when we had only half as many regressions
> per release as they do now, with 2.6.25 we had a peak of 66 pending
> regressions...

we have twice as many commits, and we have better test coverage. I get
the impression that user trust is coming back as well: regressions are
being reported sooner and more persistently - because we are handling
them in a more structured and more dependable way. We also seem to have
more users of latest -git.

so it _appears_ to be an increase in bugginess but i believe it's an
increase of activity and it's all good IMO, we close 90% of the
regressions within a week or two, and most of the regressions are for
obscure cases.

I had 2.6.25 running on most of my boxes from -rc1 on without any
unprovoked crash. (provoked bugs were another matter) Bisection became
more practical and more widespread as well. And i periodically find bugs
that came from ancient kernels so we are fixing bugs faster than we put
them in i think. I didnt have that feeling in the .18-.19 kernels.

also, now that the kerneloops.org client is in Fedora 9 by default,
we'll start to have really objective long-term statistics about how our
users react to the bugs we put into the kernel.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-03-28 21:37    [W:0.055 / U:0.080 seconds]