SubjectRe: [2.6.25-rc5-mm1] BUG: spinlock bad magic early during boot
Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 14:17 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
>>> So what's the reason for pushing for this insanely-early workaround in the
>>> first place, instead of letting user-space do something like
>>>
>>> cat my-dsdt-image > /proc/sys/acpi/DSDT
>>>
>>> or whatever at runtime?
>>>
>> You have interpretted code runing (AML), and you want to replace it
>> with different code?
>>
>> Akin to changing from one kernel to different during runtime?
>>

> Heh. That gave me an idea.
>
> Can we use kexec for this? Let's say you get as far in boot as the
> initrd and realize that you're running on one of these screwed up
> systems. Can you stick the new DSDT somewhere known (and safe) in
> memory, and kexec yourself back to the beginning of the kernel boot?
>
> When you boot up the second time, you have the new, shiny DSDT there
> which is, of course, used instead of the bogus BIOS one.

I see a problem here.
This could work. And if it is successful, the "kexec reboot around
busted hw"-trick
is used for other stuff as well.

So your broken machine reboots with some fix, then it reboots with the
custom DSDT. Is the previous fix preserved? Then a third problem is hit,
another kexec reboot. Is the first fix _and_ the custom DSDT
preserved on this reboot? Or do we get an infinite sequence of reboots,
alternating between a couple of completely unrelated fixes for bad
hw/bios...

Once there is more than one fix utilizing this trick, some "protocol" for
managing a string of kexec fixes might become necessary.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2008-03-27 10:23    [W:0.124 / U:0.496 seconds]