SubjectRe: What to do about the 2TB limit on HDIO_GETGEO ?
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Ric Wheeler <ric@emc.com> wrote:
> > Yeah. Except Dell will undoubtedly have them in desktops
> > within 2 years, and tons of people (myself included) still use
> > 32-bit (K)Ubuntu on our systems, simply for the better binary
> > compatibility that it is perceived to give with things like
> > browser plugins and stuff.
>
> I think that there are many embedded applications (lots of them linux based)
> which have large amounts of storage behind low power, low cost 32 bit CPU's.
>
> Think of the home/small office NAS boxes that you can get from bestbuy or other
> big box stores. Those devices today have 4 S-ATA drives (each of which can be
> 1TB in size).

I can attest to this. I hear from a reliable source (manufacturer)
that 2TB 3.5" disks will be out no later than first half of 2009
(possibly even sooner, or at least 1.5TB). I currently use 1TB disks
with a Geode LX based motherboard for SATA RAID and I plan on
upgrading/consolidating to larger sizes once they become available in
the market. 64-bit is not an option for me on this hardware.

-Andrew

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans