    SubjectRe: larger default page sizes...
    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, David Miller wrote:

    > From: Christoph Lameter <>
    > Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:27:06 -0700 (PDT)
    > > The move to 64k page size on IA64 is another way that this issue can
    > > be addressed though.
    > This is such a huge mistake I wish platforms such as powerpc and IA64
    > would not make such decisions so lightly.

    Its certainly not a light decision if your customer tells you that the box
    is almost unusable with 16k page size. For our new 2k and 4k processor
    systems this seems to be a requirement. Customers start hacking SLES10 to
    run with 64k pages....

    > The memory wastage is just rediculious.

    Well yes if you would use such a box for kernel compiles and small files
    then its a bad move. However, if you have to process terabytes of data
    then this is significantly reducing the VM and I/O overhead.

    > I already see several distributions moving to 64K pages for powerpc,
    > so I want to nip this in the bud before this monkey-see-monkey-do
    > thing gets any more out of hand.

    powerpc also runs HPC codes. They certainly see the same results that we

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-24 22:09    [W:0.019 / U:150.152 seconds]