SubjectRe: [patch 07/76] NIU: Bump driver version and release date.
Hi David,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:14 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> It makes a difference for driver maintainers when users
> report bugs and we ask them for the version printed
> by the driver so that we know which fixes have been
> applied.
>
> You know, if people are going to be jerky about this,
> I'll just include the version bump in the actual bug
> fixes which I sometimes do anyways.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up, it's a useful use of
> everyone's time :-/

Uhm, Jesper was asking a relevant question and definitely not being
"jerky". As you probably know, many of us are dropping explicit driver
versions from the code for the exact reason why you're trying to patch
the stable tree now. They get out of sync real easy and the kernel
version already provides the same information so why bother.

Furthermore, I honestly don't see how your patch meets the (rather
strict) requirements of stable series either. So it would be nice if
one of the stable maintainers stepped up to say that these kind of
patches are okay to set a precedent for others as well.

Pekka

  Last update: 2008-03-22 23:59    [W:0.708 / U:0.176 seconds]