SubjectRe: [patch 4/4] x86: apic_is_clustered_box to indicate unsynched TSC's on multiboard vSMP systems

* Ravikiran G Thirumalai <kiran@scalex86.org> wrote:

> As for the observation about probing the pci space early during the
> bootup, we call vsmp_init() much earlier during the bootup, which
> calls is_vsmp_box(), does the pci probing and caches the result in the
> flag, as you suggest. So the call in the above diff context does not
> access the pci config space as is.

ah, i see - indeed - the trick with -1 :-)

my point remains though: if you initialize VSMP in a separate function
anyway then please move this PCI config space access from is_vsmp_box()
into vsmp_init() and keep a pure flag return is_vsmp_box(). That way
there can be no question at all whether there are (or can be) any
side-effects of that function.

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans