SubjectRe: [patch 4/4] Markers Support for Proprierary Modules
* Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu) wrote:

> * Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:

[...]
> > > [if the proprietary modules attach to kernel markers ...] then all
> > > the pressure is on those who _can_ fix their code - meaning the
> > > kernel subsystem maintainers that use [you mean: define] markers.
> >
> > (In a way, it would be a nice problem to have. At this moment, there
> > are still no markers actually committed within -mm nor -linus.)
>
> ... which makes it doubly problematic to expose them to binary-only
> modules in any way, shape or form. Really, once _any_ kernel facility is
> used by such a module, it's pain for us to change it from that point on.
> Once markers are a 10 year concept that nobody in their right mind would
> want to change, sure, we dont _care_ about whether it's export or not,
> and basic courtesy might say that it's OK to do it. But to proactively
> export any aspect of a half-done piece of infrastructure is crazy.
>
> Ingo

I agree with you on this : maybe it would be better to wait a bit and
let the core markers in first and learn from that before we open this up
to proprierary modules.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2008-03-20 23:29    [W:0.969 / U:0.008 seconds]