SubjectRe: CPU siblings
Jon Masters wrote:
> Yo,
>
> Myself and a colleague were just discussing the output of /proc/cpuinfo,
> specifically the CPU siblings field. He pointed out/we think that this
> historically was supposed to be number of HT siblings for a given CPU.
>
> The actual value of that field comes from the Hamming Weight (number of
> set bits) of the per_cpu cpu_core_map variable, which supposedly is
> "representing HT and core siblings of each logical CPU", i.e. both HT
> siblings and additional cores within the same CPU package.
>
> Does this mean that "siblings" needs renaming? (doesn't it come
> originally from "HT siblings"? or is it supposed to be both?). More
> importantly, what's the correct way to determine number of HTs?

Related topic: Intel has announced that some of their new CPU lines will
once again have SMT in each core. Just the thought of multiple sockets
with multiple core, with multiple threads and shared L3 cache sounds
like a scheduling nightmare.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2008-03-20 22:53    [W:0.048 / U:0.468 seconds]