    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
    On Saturday 15 March 2008 06:32, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > On Wed 2008-03-12 22:50:55, Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > > > Well, that sounds convincing. Not. You know this how?
    > >
    > > By measuring it. time untar -xf linux-2.2.26.tar; time sync
    > Thats cheating. Your ramback ignores sync.
    > Just time it against ext3 _without_ doing the sync. That's still more
    > reliable than what you have.

    No, that allows ext3 to cheat, because ext3 does not supply any means
    of flushing its cached data to disk in response to loss of line power,
    and then continuing on in a "safe" mode until line power comes back.

    Fix that and you will have a replacement for ramback, arguably a more
    efficient one for this specialized application (it will not work for an
    external ramdisk). Until you do that, ramback is the only game in town
    to get these transaction speeds together with data durability.

    I have mentioned a number of times, that you _already_ rely on an
    equivalent scheme to ramback if you are using a battery-backed raid
    controller. Somehow, posters to this thread keep glossing over that
    and going back to the sky-is-falling argument.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-15 21:25    [W:0.021 / U:51.252 seconds]