SubjectRe: [2.6.25-rc5-mm1] BUG: spinlock bad magic early during boot

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, ?ric Piel wrote:

> It's a pity, I had just nearly finished a new approach. Instead of
> relying on populate_rootfs() and the filesystem infrastructure, the new
> approach directly finds the file in the initramfs.

So that avoids the VFS layer issues, but it's still strictly much worse
than just having a run-time loading.

What's the problem with just loading a new DSDT later? Potentially as in
*much* later: including when user-space is all up-and-running?

For things like DVD install images, you'd quite possibly want to have a
few known-workaround DSDT images with the installer, and just say "ok, we
want to fix up this ACPI crap in order to get working suspend/resume" kind
of thing.

So what's the reason for pushing for this insanely-early workaround in the
first place, instead of letting user-space do something like

cat my-dsdt-image > /proc/sys/acpi/DSDT

or whatever at runtime?

Linus

  Last update: 2008-03-15 21:23    [W:0.316 / U:0.764 seconds]