    SubjectRe: [RFC] Union mount readdir support in glibc

    > >> Ever heard of the little function "telldir"?
    > >>

    > > Actually, telldir/seekdir is already broken for some filesystems (NFS
    > > comes to mind). POSIX was really crazy to require a working seekdir
    > > implementation, and userspace should quickly start _not_ using it.
    > >

    > What makes you think that telldir/seekdir don't work for NFS?

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.fuse.devel/5124

    It turned out to be due to incorrect NFS behavior if files are removed
    between telldir and seekdir.

    So it does work sometimes, but does not seem to correctly handle all
    cases. I have no idea if this is an issue in the server, the client
    or the protocol.

    What is certain, is that seekdir/telldir is a really bad interface,
    that just makes life difficult for filesystem implementors, without
    any real gain. It deserves to die.

    Miklos

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans