SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
Date
On Thursday 13 March 2008 06:27, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> >> It works for EMC :-)
> >
> > Where they control the hardware and run a rather specialized OS as well,
> > not a general purpose system like Linux on "commodity" hardware ;-)
>
> Actually, in Centera we use generic hardware with a fairly normal kernel
> which has strategic backports from upstream (libata, nic drivers, etc).
>
> No UPS in the picture. Data integrity is protected by working with the
> application team to insure they understand when data is safely on the
> disk platter and working with IO & FS people to try and make sure we
> don't lie to them (too much ) about that promise.
>
> The centera boxes are tested with power failure & error injection and by
> all of our customers in all those ways customers do ;-)

Hi Ric,

Right, so Linux has gotten to the point where it competes with purpose-
built embedded software in reliability. Not quite there, but close
enough for mission-critical.

I was not thinking of Centera when I mentioned the UPS though...

Daniel

  Last update: 2008-03-13 20:05    [W:0.180 / U:0.316 seconds]