SubjectRe: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 6.
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> My other concern is just correctness over time on the Linux side. We already
> have enough trouble keeping things like the pte and page structure state in
> sync, with resulting rare data-loss bugs. Adding another layer which only
> applies in specific environments raises the possibility for new bugs to be
> un-noticed for a long time. How can we structure the VM changes to make sure
> that its robust in the face of maintenance?

Yes, that's the main concern, as whenever lots of subtlety is added.
I wonder if there's any chance of a CONFIG_DEBUG mode, which could be
run on anybody's x86 machine, without involving any virtualization, but
in which the PAGE_STATEs become essential to the correct working of the mm.

Hugh

  Last update: 2008-03-13 20:01    [W:0.086 / U:7.708 seconds]