    SubjectRe: Keys get stuck

    On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 11:48 +0200, Jan Knutar wrote:
    > On Thursday 13 March 2008 07:42, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    >
    > > > Just for the record, this problem started with openSUSE 10.2 for
    > > > me, that's a 2.6.18 thingy. I'm a heavy xterm user, where the
    > > > autorepeat gets a life of its own _occasionally_. I'm able to stop
    > > > it by triggering a autorepeat manually (typical antidot reaction).
    > >
    > > I've seen these key repeats for years. All I ever had to do was to
    > > make X run heavily enough in the presence of another (hefty) load
    > > that it hits the expired array and thereby takes a serious latency
    > > hit. I always considered key repeats under load to be X's quaint way
    > > of saying "HEEEEELP MEEEE" ;-)
    >
    > I experience random repeats during heavy loads such as yum upgrade,
    > which triggers a huge swapout, in Fedora Core 7 with Fedora's
    > 2.6.23.14-64 on amd64, Xorg 1.3... Using USB keyboard.

    Hm, dunno what all is in that kernel. Huge swapout with yum upgrade
    shouldn't be happening I don't think, upgrades here certainly don't (I'm
    using suses upgrade dohickey though...). I can only recommend trying
    latest/greatest stock kernel.

    > I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not, they don't repeat "forever"
    > for me, it just makes my speeellllliingggg llllooookkk
    > teerrriibbblle. Like that. Before this happens, letters usually stop
    > appearing on screen as I'm typing. I usually stop typing at that point,
    > since I know it will just become a mess.

    Yes, that's the symptom I was refering to. If you see that under
    reasonable CPU load, and _without_ major swapping going on, then I'd be
    suspicious of scheduler trouble. Swap can definitely keep X off the cpu
    for extended periods, and that seems to be what triggers the repeated
    keys behavior. (I've never troubleshot it, so must say _seems_)

    -Mike

      Last update: 2008-03-13 12:31    [W:0.035 / U:32.484 seconds]